Thursday, January 24, 2008

Frozen Cay

Monday Jan 21 11:15 am.. Now that was a rolly night. We stayed up and watched our newly downloaded movies and TV programs…Joyce was falling asleep so we finished it this AM. .Wind was up in the 25 knot range during the night. At one point the tide which runs at 1-2 knots brought us perpendicular to the waves and we rolled for 4-5 hrs. A bottle of rotten French rum (they make the worst tasting rum) made it to the galley floor…damn thing didn’t even break. We have added anis star spice to the stuff to see if we can make it into Sambucca or at least drinkable. Wind now at 30 plus…our new Rocna anchor is doing its thing trying to dig itself to China. We had a hard time getting it up back in Ft Lauderdale…guess that is a better alternative then dragging. It is a very impressive anchor. It set with a hard jerk yesterday when we dropped it. I have the snubber all the way out..40+ ft…it stretches like a rubber band in this wind…also have a back up in case this one snaps. Don’t want all that force ripping the windlass out of the deck. We are anchored in about 12 ft with about 100 ft of chain…..So it’s a real nasty day…we are going to watch movies and wait out the storm all by our selves behind this little island. What should we watch next?
Oh…Paul is so funny…we really do have some cute movies to watch though! I guess his “graboid” was a good thing! So, anyway, when Paul wanted to tie the spare anchor (the Buelle) down better while we were crossing the stream…he was insistent that he do it…in fact I had to raise my voice a little before he finally conceded. The seas were confused because of the winds shifting so we were having a bit of a bumpy ride waves hitting the side and coming over the bow. But here was my thinking…I have better balance than he does…if he starts the knot I can tie it off…if I fall overboard I can swim longer than he can and he can maneuver the boat to get me…AND most important…I was saving myself the stress of watching him up on the bow with waves hitting him AND if he were to fall overboard the stress of maneuvering the boat to get him!!! Also…just for a moment I got to feel like I was really out at sea…you know like the guys catching Alaska crab on the show “World’s Deadliest Catch” albeit on a much much much smaller scale!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul