Thursday, January 24, 2008

Last nights visitor


Thur Jan 24 11:30 AM Well yesterday was a bummer. We decided to wait till today to sail over to Nassau and check in for free...well they still get their 300 bucks, but not the $100 to tie up to the dock for 20 min. The forward head decided to stop up..I tried the usual..plunger etc, then decided that it might be something more serious. So I started to take things apart....sometimes I think the engineer that designed these things should have to take their designs apart and put them back together 100 times before they can sell even 1 of them...bet things would be better designed. Any way...upon taking the pump apart I find the hose(1 1/2 inch diameter about 5 ft long is completely closed up with what looks like and feels like concrete. Somehow I have to clean this hose out before the damn head will work again. So I start with the usual,, a coat hanger...maybe get 3-4 inches dug out..then used vise-grips to slightly squeeze the hose to break up the concrete...then rig up some small diameter hose to the fresh water pump. With this I can flush out some of the pieces as I break them up...damn where is the Home Depot when you need one. A pipe snake would be real handy right now. ...back to the small diameter hose with a brass fitting on the end. Ram this down 20-30 times then flush with the water...slow going about 1/2 inch each time...in need of something stiffer... I had just replaced one of my lifelines. Just what I needed, so we removed the lifeline and I used that to break up the stuff...now getting an inch + each time. By about 3:30...been at this for 3 1/2 hrs already..I break through. Pump water through and all is fine...just have to put everything back together and by 4 pm we disinfect the boat both take showers and declare it now 5 o'clock somewhere. Happy Hour although my back was not too happy were still downloading on Graboid...watched a few NCIS then our guest arrived..Joyce was having fun photographing him....guess he wanted to email someone as he was sitting on my computer.
We were up to a dead calm morning...full moon and CLEAR water...I will try and fix Joyce's pi later, but notice you can see the bottom as well as the reflection. W checked the weather and decided to wait for wind tomorrow to go to Nassau...I sent off for so long term weather files...wow..there was a window where the wind was from the north for several days..maybe we should make the run east and head for St Thomas....downloaded a few more files...damn...lets go for it. Understand St Thomas and the rest of the islands are 4-5 hundred miles east of us. The winds this time of year are from the east. Sailboats find it hard to go east this time of year, so when one can...make the best of it and go. Now Joyce was going to miss some dive spots, but we can still stop here on the way back...and yes I guess we will miss a few lobster dinners. We are blogging sending a few emails and will leave this afternoon...should take us about 6 days almost 900 miles...with a day or so of no wind...So the blog will be dormant till we get to the Virgins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul