Monday, March 31, 2008

Don't anchor near this flag



Sat March 29th 6:55 PM. The War between the US and the Frenchies. US 1 Frenchies O. While I was blogging this AM a Frenchie Cat came up and anchored REAL close. By the time I realized how close they were off in their dink. Now how close is close…well cats and monohulls don’t swing
the same in the wind……

during the day they would swing within 10 ft of us….we probably would not hit unless the wind picked up. BUT there was a whole lagoon to anchor in….they didn’t have to anchor that close. We went in to ride and make out last major provision till Margarita, when we got back the wind had shifted enough to make us swing even closer. They had left 1 Frenchie Bimbo on board. I yelled over that they were too close….she gave me one of those shrugs…I no speak English. By 5 pm I was getting pissed. So I let out some more chain…we swung a little closer….Joyce was playing the UN trying to keep me from throwing wine bottles in their cockpit. The only bottles I had still had wine in them…so that option was out. The rest of the Frenchies arrived back at about 6pm. I hollered over that they were too close…they retreated into the salon…thinking I would move….yea sure….We swung close again…out comes the boat horn…a few honks…they disappear further down below. Finally one of the bimbos comes out to hang something on the lifeline…I asked to speak to the Captain. The little fart comes up and says we are fine…I say too close…he says YOU move…I said I was here first….back into French he goes….Joyce joins in in Spanish…this frustrated him and they all went below. I went up and let another 20 ft of chain….now we are really close…almost time to start drinking wine. I yelled over he was going to move tonight…..we swung close again…just about to go below and break out the wine…….Joyce said she heard the engine start…and then they upped the anchor and moved…to where they should have in the first place……they started to whistle and yell over…was this alright…just like a smart ass…. Once they had shut down and returned to the cockpit…Joyce and I upped the anchor and moved outside to the bay. We had planned to move outside all along….But it was the principal of the thing. This isn’t the 1st time the Frenchies have done this. This is standard protocol for them. They anchor where they want..and you can move if you don’t like it. Well not this Yankee. If it was not for the US they would be speaking German and eating Sauer kraut. The capital of the world is not Paris. They didn’t invent the Internet or the telephone. Their phone system, their cars, and their attitude suck. They have only three things worth a crap…their cheese, wine, and bread. Hell the Aussies make better wine….and they know how to anchor….

Well the status of our sail repairs….. We had a choice…fix it here or try to make it Bequia. The wind was a little too much for me…..but….we unrolled and pulled the main out….damn…it didn’t come down. To be on the safe side we dropped it all the way down and retied the lines. No Joyce didn’t get her free ride to the top…we are going to leave early tomorrow to make the 12-13 hr sail to Bequia. Screw the French, even sweet and calm Joyce thinks they are “Arrogant and rude" but she didn’t think they were stupid….she might have something there…they did move… She said when you speak to them in a language they don’t understand they quit…they all know English…now let’s think this out…they lost to the Germans, Vietnamese, Spanish….did they ever win a war?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul