Sunday, May 17, 2009

Bonaire Diving

When I was here in October one place that I didn’t dive was Klein Bonaire. It would have been a LONG and bumpy dingy ride for Paul so I made arrangements with WannaDive to go on their Klein Bonaire boat dive first thing Wednesday morning while Paul went to the internet for necessary internet stuff. The wind had been down for a couple of days…not gone but down…I got buddied up with an instructor from Holland with his video camera…oh, brother…not such a good buddy…but I did enjoy the dive and managed to get some good shots…this Yellow Pencil Coral is very fragile, Lobed Star Coral around it…the large Barracuda was just hanging around…Basket Star…this is the coral that opens up and feeds at night…Giant Sea Anemone and Pederson Cleaning Shrimp…Sea Plume and Yellow Pencil Coral…Hawksbill Turtle…Paul and I went on a dive from the dingy on the northern part of Bonaire in the afternoon! So here are some pictures of that…Buoyancy Poster Boy and the BEST dive buddy (ha ha ha)…French Angelfish…Turtle…I’ve seen a little one on every dive so far…Giant Sea Anemone and Pederson Cleaning Shrimp…Schoolmaster with Brain Coral, Star Coral and Creole Wrasse in the background…Queen Angelfish…Scrawled Cowfish…Smooth Trunkfish…Trumpetfish…Yellow Goatfish… Spotted Drum and Blackbar Soldierfish...
Mountains of Coral...
More Lobed Star Coral....
These guys are everywhere...Smooth Trunkfish...
More coral....
Giant Sea Anemone and Star Coral...
Scrawled Filefish....
Brown Chromis and Scrawled Filefish...
Now I was able to get the above Pederson Cleaning Shrimp as Paul kept pointing to one of the two of these things…and signing for me to take a picture…so the first time…I looked and didn’t see anything…looked again very close…and saw the Pederson Cleaning Shrimp…got some pictures. Then on the second one…he motioned again…so here is his picture with what he recognized as HUGE pistons…used as anchors for the fishing boats in years past. The pictures of the next dives all got jumbled in together…Smooth Flower Coral with Sea Anemone and Pederson Cleaning Shrimp…fish…coral…more fish…are you are tired of all of the pictures yet?? I'm tired of posting them for today anyway....and, the question for me is will I tire of taking the pictures??? Paul had been hurting pretty good after the last couple of day’s activity and dingy rides…so when Kathryn and Enrique searched us out at the internet shop and asked if I would go on two dives with them on Friday morning (May 15th – by the way Happy Birthday Joe and Anne!!) …well, we checked weather and Saturday was suppose to be just as good as sailing on Friday. Neither of them had been diving in 10 (or maybe even more than 10) years…they rented their stuff from WannaDive (I really recommend this dive shop)…I made sure they could both clear their masks (after the Los Roques experience) and told them I was their dive “buddy”…not their instructor…then proceeded to update them both on safety stuff and my hand signals (as my buddies…their safety is my safety)! We had two wonderful dives…after the first one they both were so very excited that they are now talking about adding this sport to their “list” along with sail-boarding and trying to meet up with us in Belize! As we surfaced after the second dive…we saw a pod of dolphins coming close to where we had just been…so I missed my chance to swim with dolphins in the wild. Then we were set adrift…that story will be part of my memoirs…with more dive pictures of course!!!I got back to the boat…we went into town to get bread...checked out of Bonaire…and tomorrow, Saturday, May 16th on to Curacao after Customs delivers the shotgun at 6:30am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul