Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Left Utila for Mainland

Cruise date June 17 2:24 pm Utila.
Just kidding....we were up at 5am..well Joyce was...i was up by 6am. We readied the boat for sea and started to use our "Windlass as we got a call from Antares saying their hook was up. We headed out of the anchorage through the reef when I smelled burning rubber. Upon opening the hatch I was greeted with smoke and the smell of burned rubber. We had run the batteries down a little further than normal and the extra load caused the belts to slip. I shut down the engine and grabbed the needed tools to tighten the alternator belts. Started the engine back up...a few minutes later the temp guage started rising. Damn...engine water-pump impeller time. By this time Antares was several mile down wind. I called to tell them my problem. We could barely hear them...their VHF was down and they were using a handheld. I decided to return to Utila. We had about 1 mile to the anchorage. I started the engine...strange sound...went down into the engine room to see that the muffler had come disconnected. We would motor for about 1 min then glide for 2-3 min. Took us 45 min to get back to the anchorage and get the hook down... Everything was too hot to work on so we waited till 10 am. I replaced the impeller...no problem but I did see where the waterhose into the pump had collapsed. This would have caused the impeller to fail and the engine to overheat.. double damn....so I fixed the hose...will need to be done right while up the Rio.. buttoned everything up and fired up the engine. Triple DAMN...inlet to the muffler...its plastic, had melted and the exhaust and cooling water was emptying the bilge. I removed the melted muffler... I started to cut the outlet off hoping to use it to connect the 2 hoses...quadruple DAMN would not be long enough. I asked Joyce for a can of beans...exact fit...so she emptied the re fried beans and opened both ends. With her help...I had been at this for 4 hours we were able to connect the 2 hoses now spiced together with a bean can. Warmed up the engine...everything fine for now. The question is...how long will the can last before it corrodes Will it last for a week till we get up the Rio? Stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul