Friday, July 3, 2009

Settling in at Mario's

As with any Central American country...everything takes time...but I believe now we are finally getting settled. Finding where at Mario's to take the garbage was one of the first issues...and this little critter...well he scared the !!!! out of me the first time I went to the garbage bin enclosure. I have gotten into the habit of talking to unknown critters whenever I go for a walk by myself. So as I was getting closer of course I began talking to all of the critters that might be there...telling them to leave...I heard rustling and then... it looks like I scared the !!! out of him/her!! We have gone into town a few times...the town is called Rio Dulce or Fronteras...This is the dingy dock at Bruno's...Typical Guatemala women dress...I almost bought one of their "shawls" the other day...I still may...as I do enjoy my shawls!! The streets are LOUD ...trucks with cattle in them roll down the main street as well as every other type of huge truck imagineable...locals parking their cars just about anywhere...so honking becomes the norm!The cabs are little three wheel vehicles...and because it is a farming community...there are farm tractors going down the streets as well. The limes and papaya are wonderful...we had some fresh green beans last night that were very good too! We found some WONDERFUL fresh bread across the river at Tienda Reeds. The main grocery store is okay...but not enough to "write home" about!!
These are called Cayucao's...and are all along with river with locals using them as their fishing boats....
One day we went under the bridge and to Tortugal Marina...the good news is that Little Bit has a new home!! The bad news is that it was quite a long dingy ride for Paul...and he was hurting for a few days after!Phyllis and I began taking morning walks down this road behind the Marina... True local "color"...I was told that there use to be a lot of howler monkeys on this side of the river ...but the locals ate them...not sure if that is true...but there are howlers on the OTHER side of the river!!Home along the "road"...path... One day a local "loco" man snuck up on us...then ran by us...and hit Phyllis in the back!!! We have continued to walk...I just bring Paul's cane so we have something to "deter" such behavior!! She is leaving for two weeks in Antigua tomorrow so I haven't decided if I will continue to walk without her!Dinner for another day....Paul enjoys seeing these sorts of things...his first response is: "I'd love for someone to do a lifejacket check on THAT boat"!! This is pretty typical though...many people on little boats!These guys are everywhere! And, I must tell you that all is not sunshine and blue skies!! Last night was a HUGE storm (squall?) that passed through. 30 plus knots of wind...lightening...thunder...and lots and lots of rain! The Lady H was being pushed up against the dock and the fenders were just not in the right spot as we were heeling over into the dock! Out in the rain we both went to re-arrange the fenders! Our neighbor came out to help too!! There was a boat that had been anchored out...he dragged anchor into the marina...missed us...not sure yet if anything else happened...(Hey Phil...want to bet he has a plow anchor??...Ha ha ha)And these pictures are for my mom...sweet smelling flowers from the trees and bushes down here...love the pictures...no allergies!
So there is live music tonight at Mario's...we will be there...and a big 4th of July party tomorrow here at Mario's as well...we will be there. We haven't done a lot of work on the boat yet...and there is still a lot to do...but we are settling in here at Marios!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul