Sunday, February 6, 2011

Different Views...

As we were motoring up the coast of Roatan and arriving at the French Harbor cut through the reef...Denny mentioned..."things look so different from out here".So I was looking for a different way to bring different views of this area...which brought me to the bicycles that we have had on board since Key West. They have been locked to the rail and sort of covered for the last year. We have not had much occasion to ride them so neither one has been off of the boat...until last week! I took the sun-cracked cover off as gently as I could...unlocked them...and took the one with the orange fenders onto the grass behind the boat. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to remember how to unfold it...let alone ride it...but surprised myself at how easy it was! The tires, however, were more than just flat...and when I tried to take the valve cover off...couldn't budge them with my fingers. Back down into the boat I went...retrieved the tire pump, a Leatherman type tool...got the valve covers off and pumped up the tires. Amazingly...they were holding air...so off I rode (with pump in the back pocket) to see how long before the tires went flat again! Fantasy Island is just that...an island...and a small island at that.There is a road that goes around the outside of the island except where the resort is ...they are on the ocean front side of course. Most of the road is in the shade though, which is wonderful considering it gets to 85 degrees during the day! After the first day of four or five short times around the island...I just had to see more of the view from a bicycle...So with camera in hand...over the bridge I rode to go off the small island of Fantasy ...and onto the island of Roatan for more pictures... out onto the main street...... and up to the top of the nearest hill! I have done this twice now (riding off of Fantasy Island) and once was passed by three taxi's! Now, while I have ridden my (road) bike in the states on more different kinds of roads on different occasions than I can tell you about...these three taxi's on Roatan have made me think twice about going any farther than the top of this hill for more pictures on the island of Roatan via my bicycle! So I guess I will restrict my riding to Fantasy Island...and if what I am looking for are views...there really are none better that I can think of right now...Even if they are of some of the "wildlife"! The bicycle tires are keeping air in them...I've ridden a bit on the beach...and, I keep thinking that maybe I can teach one of these guys to ride? So, yes, things do look different from here...here being where we are now...bicycle or not...still and all...the view is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul