Thursday, March 31, 2011

More diving...

Capt Paul was looking up cat stuff on the internet the other day...and found out that even if I taught Mizzen to scuba dive...she would not be the first cat to scuba dive. She so enjoys looking at the pictures and loves to be on my BCD...but...no, I probably won't take her to the next level! Stan, his son, daughter in law and I did however go over to Coco View Wall the other day. Another great dive! Queen Angelfish and Rock Beauty... I think I've even made friends with my DSLR and strobe. Stan's daughter-in-law looking on as his son had a flashlight....and found this large Spotted Drum...and then this large Big Eye too. I can see why Stan enjoys having him for a dive buddy...he finds the pictures...then it is just if WE can TAKE them! This Yellowline Arrow Crab was eating some kind of fuzz...almost looks like cotton candy? Stan going after a picture....Stoplight Parrotfish munching on coral...HUGE Lionfish...Social Featherduster...Branching Anemone between Star Coral and a Pederson Cleaning Shrimp...Stan had his camera and sent this picture of me...he calls my timing bad because I was holding onto my reg...I mentioned it could have been HIS timing...as I was reaching to take the reg out of my mouth to SMILE for the picture! And, then today, we took one of the "real" dive boats out to Calvin's Crack...over near Jonesville. I had heard that it is a wonderful dive...one of the best...and so I had decided weeks ago that it was one dive that I really wanted to go on! We joined the CROWD (19 divers not including the two divemasters) with another boat from a different dive resort with around 15 aboard following about 10 minutes behind! This is Stan (farthest away) and his son (closest to me) going down "the" crack to 95 feet or so! These tiny Goldface Toby's almost always move before I can get a picture...this one wasn't quite quick enough! We didn't stay along the wall for very long...and then to the Longsnout Seahorses...these two were the first of five that live in the area! A Shortfin Pipefish. We were bringing up the rear of the 19 divers... this Longsnout Seahorse had already had a bunch of pictures taken...and seemed not to bother about a few more...this picture is to show how tiny they really are...not always an easy find...How beautiful are they!!! I sure had a great opportunity to get a few good pictures of one of them! Then one of the divers called me over to a cliff area..and sure enough this Large Eye Toadfish came out from underneath...probably thinking he/she was going to get a treat (at this point better trained than Mizzen...although Capt Paul is working on training her to come)!Another Longsnout Seahorse...The Divemaster had found and speared a Lionfish...the Yellowtail Snappers were staying away from the stinging spines (they will still sting I am told, even after they are dead) and eating what they could!



Banded Butterflyfish. So, yes, Calvin's Crack IS a fun dive! Just between us three...we definately decided that it is a dive site that could be explored for many tanks, many days, to weeks on end...there is so much to see! I ran out of bottom time before air...after a 54 minute dive....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul