Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Walk in the rain....

Being born and raised in Seattle I am used to the rain.  Rain here on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland isn't that much different than Seattle rain!  They are both WET!!!

It has been windy... the kind of wind that keeps you on the boat even up a river!  We did get out to a mall one day... but we left early before the wind began in earnest and the wind assisted the little engine in getting us back to Dances with Dragons (DWD)!  Had a little fun shopping at the mall, but really wanted to go back and walk around the Mooloolaba Esplanade unaccompanied!  Wayne graciously offered... and I accepted for the following morning!  

I took both cameras in the new shoulder dry bag that I had bought at the dive shop (I'm excited to get to Bundaberg as I should have a new dry bag backpack waiting for me...Christmas!).  I did a little shopping straight away... sweet young gal that was honest in her opinions which helped greatly in making a few good decisions!  I asked if she would hold my purchases while I went out and walked a bit!  She said of course as she would be working all day so there wouldn't be a problem!
On to the water front esplanade! 
It is a beautiful walk... joggers, dog walkers, and even bicycles were out enjoying the morning!
Some of the trail was a raised walkway and
some was neatly kept cement walkways!  I met some lovely people as I seemed to resort to walking on the right hand side (as we drive) and here in Australia they walk on the left hand side (as they drive).  Once I stopped when there was a little sprinkle under a covered area and chatted with a couple.  He was originally from Croatia (moved to Australia when he was 18) and she was from Georgia (moved to Australia when she was 5).  I had mentioned that he still had his European type accent...I couldn't identify it well, but knew it was not the typical Australian accent.  That's when they told me where they were from.  Lovely couple... lovely chat!  The trail went all the way out to the Mooloolabah River entrance! 
Along the way there were areas where the fences keeping you on the walkway opened up onto the beach.  Notice that the water is less brown and more blue since the day after Marcia! 
At every one of the walkways to the beach there was also a fresh water shower to shower off the sand!  I was very impressed!  I was almost to the spit when it began to pour!  There was a gal walking her dog that took refuge under one of the last trees before the spit so I asked if I could join her!  "Of course", she said and then we began chatting away too!  She looked up in the tree and found a little family of possums...I was able to get my macro camera out to get a few shots before putting it back away in the dry bag!     
The rain subsided a bit it seemed and we went on our way...I really wanted to get to the point!  I might have left a little prematurely as not more than five minutes later with no trees in sight the skies opened up!  I got drenched as I was not about to go back! 

It let up a little and then while I was videoing... it poured again!  I was drenched again!  Only a little chill...not too much though as the air temperature still had to be high seventies to low eighties!  Notice on the video the brown coming out of the river to the blue of the ocean!  There were a couple of young boys fishing off of the rocky point... they were using herring and shrimp... they hadn't caught anything yet.  I wasn't about to wait around to see what they might catch, wished them luck and headed back!
On the way back I heard some loud chirping, looked up and saw this Rainbow Lorikeet!  I found that birds are just as camera shy as fish... so didn't get a great shot... but it was fun to see such a beautiful brightly colored bird!  
And then the Loo with a View... Just had to include that!  
I did not let being wet deter me from the rest of my outing... more walking and shopping!  I so enjoyed my day off of the boat!  Shopping, my chats with friendly people and my walk in the Australian rain!  Australian rain is very much the same as Seattle rain with one large exception... the rain here is warm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul