Friday, April 10, 2015

Getting to know Gladstone!

It has been mentioned to me that Gladstone is considered a transient community.  The nature of it's business... being a big harbor town... I would have thought otherwise.  Nonetheless it has been wonderful to get to know this town!  Capt Paul and I both seem to think it reminds of the U.S. towns in the 1960's!  Church Easter Sunday was great!  Very friendly people!  No air conditioning... but five double doors on each side of the building so that the breeze went right through! 

I met a couple of gals out walking at the lighthouse park last week.  We seemed to "click" then, so Mary Ann gave me her phone number, address, and email address!  I emailed her to see about getting together this week for lunch.  She asked me to call her... so since I am without a phone...I used one of the MANY payphones that Gladstone still has all around their City (this one was conveniently at the marina) but WOW... it has been YEARS since I've used a payphone!!  She picked me up at the marina and off we went to Spinnaker Park for lunch.  We met Pauline there and had a lovely time chatting away!  They wanted to show me Gladstone so off we went to the winery! 
I guess there is only one here... Gecko Winery.  Here is a picture of me and the "girls"... we joked about our ages...50...60...and, 70! 
I bought a bottle of wine to share with Capt Paul... one of their "award winning" bottles of Shiraz.  We hope to taste it tonight and even though I don't drink wine, I will taste it.  I want to see if it just the types of wine historically being offered to me that are not to my taste... or if it is truly wine that is not to my taste... I'll let you know! 
To the Botanical Gardens, a walk around to see the turtles...
notice in the picture there is even an eel in the mix!  
Have I mentioned how many parks there are in Australia?  We stopped at the little café in the Botanical Gardens for some ice cream... and instead we each got a piece of chocolate covered macadamia nut cheese cake!  Needless to say I ate the ENTIRE thing!  It was so good!
From there to the Japanese garden...
and a little guy hanging out in the tree... no idea what he/she is but so very cute!!
And, then off to Mary Ann's house!  Her husband has quite a garden in the back yard and this Elkhorn plant caught my eye!  He has also restored an old car and she wanted me to see it.  He is in the middle of restoring a 1939 Dodge truck as well!  We chatted a bit and it was decided that a ride in the restored 1927 Falcon Knight was in order!  I asked if it could wait until the next day so I could ask Capt Paul if he would like to go!   It was decided that we would go for a drive out to Boyne Island and Tannum Beach the next day!  Unfortunately Capt Paul was not feeling well enough to go.  So at 2:30 in the afternoon I put my best dress on (I figured this car deserved a good dress for the ride) and at a maximum of 45 miles per hour Mary Ann's husband and I were on our way! 
Yes, people looked...a lot....
It is a 6 cylinder (sleeve type?) manual 3 speed.  It has wooden spoke wheels... and  of course...no air conditioning!   We kept the windows down which was fabulous for a cool enough breeze and he left the top up which was nice for the hair!  What fun it was!  I don't remember if I have ever ridden in a car this old!!
After the beach we went to one of their friends house that lives in the area to show me some of his orchids.  The pink one that looks like a bird is in the last stages of bloom, but it was the Harbour Festival Orchid winner!
Back into the car and a bit of a tour around Canoe Point trying to find me a full size Kangaroo!  No... didn't find one... but so sweet to try!
We did get back a little later than planned... but it was before dark!
Such a nice afternoon!

It does turn out the only music I've been able to enjoy so far in Gladstone is in this video!
Every morning!  And, I'm not complaining!!  I love it!!  Mary Ann wants to take me to a place Tuesday night for some live music... maybe!  I will be headed out by rail on Wednesday evening to Cairns for a week of diving in the Coral Sea!  I will slowly make my way south, back to DWD as DWD slowly heads north!  I have enjoyed so very much getting to know Gladstone and a few of the residents here.  Mary Ann mentioned that some people put out 10 "lost" identities with money in it as a "test" for this transient community.  They received 8 back WITH all the money and I.D.!  Not bad Gladstone!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul