Saturday, February 2, 2008

Okay, I know Paul is always so good about telling you the date, the day, and the time…but truthfully I don’t know what the date is, what the day is….and we had to put the clock down because this passage has had lots of sideways “tips” well pretty consistent and continual “tips”….ah yes, I just remembered…computers are so cool…it’s 2:52pm….it says so in the right hand corner…I’m just a little tired. Neither of us has had the best sleep for the five nights on this passage. The sailing has been terrific…minimal engine time…and up to 11 knots boat speed…but the waves have been sideways to the boat, up to 12 feet and at short intervals…I do believe I may walk funny for a while when we get to dry land again…

So now on to Fishy Story number two:
I asked Paul this morning if we were going to be able to fish more as we get further down the islands. He said yes, but the Mahi Mahi fishing was best out in the Atlantic…so while he was writing his fishy story on the computer down below…I let the lure out…thinking…. fresh Mahi Mahi for dinner again and a little more in the freezer wouldn’t hurt…and perhaps we wouldn’t catch anything anyway. I came back down below. We were sailing along at around 7 to 9 knots depending on gusts…Paul finished his blog…and we were just about ready to watch another NCIS episode, when….zingggggggggggggggg….and once again we both rushed up to the pole. Sails in, engine started, auto pilot off…into reverse…turning left…and forward….no the other left (opps)…starboard anyway…. Then Paul gave me the pole…






she too did not want to come aboard and put up a valiant effort…a few ups and “runs”…not nearly as good as the monster from yesterday…perhaps a half an hour…after all she was female and not nearly as cantankerous as the monster male of yesterday. While Paul held the leader I did get her gaffed at her gill and Paul got her on board and into the cockpit.




Another beautiful fish…and, I contend because she was female, she did not make nearly the mess that yesterday’s fish did…she was 47 inches long…



AND the best news is that I am getting better with sharp knives (at filleting)…even with the boat going 8 knots and side waves every ten or so. If I stop to think about it, perhaps it is more because I don’t want to waste any of the precious meat that we took from these beautiful fish…and while it may sound corny to some…I did thank them both for coming aboard and sharing with us. Freezers are full…we are done fishing for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul