Monday, April 14, 2008

Tobago Cay (Horseshoe Reef) and Mayreau gunboat wreck dive

Looking at Horseshoe Reef you would not think that there would be an area because of currents and wave action that you could dive...but of course the locals knew...a spot where there is a "hole" between the reefs going down to 60 feet and a sandy bottom! Best clarity we have had for awhile! And, as you can see Paul is getting much more comfortable 50 plus feet under the water!!!

Split Crown Feather Duster on Dark Volcano Sponge....
I'm getting better at finding the things that you might just "pass over" because they are camouflaged and perfectly still! This is a Spotted Scorpionfish.....
And, better at finding some things that I find are unusual...this is Fragile Saucer Coral...
And then I decided to cross over the sandy bar to the other side (always keeping my dive buddies - in this case Paul and the divemaster in view - for those that worry about me)...and I'm going across the sandy bottom looking over to the rocky bottom to the right, and, yes, you can scream into a regulator...I was much closer to him when I first saw him...and I backpedaled sooooo fast...then when he just sat there....I took this picture...wow...sure scared me though....
Southern Stingray...although I really wanted to identify him as a Roughtail Stingray because of the spiny area on his upper tail ...and I would...but the book says they are absent in the Carribbean...so I'm back to Southern Stingray....this was a picture as I went back over the sandy bar to rejoin Paul and the divemaster to point out my "find"!!

Sand Tilefish.....

Sand Diver...being very still and hoping I wouldn't notice him....
Then...the divemaster sees another Southern Stingray...much larger....he calls me over to get a picture....
And then he decides to get him to swim....and kids...don't try this at home!!!!
And AWAY he did swim (thank heaven) and I got a few really great shots...
Up, a short rest at Salt Whistle Bay on Mayreau and on to the second dive for the day...a wreck of a gunboat just off of this island. The first little guy I saw...well let's say...he saw me...was this Sergeant Major...these are called Blue males...as he was guarding eggs...and he kept darting straight at me then away...if he would have only stood still for the picture...I would have left him alone sooner!!!!
This little guy is a Sharpnose Puffer...
This is a Coney...Golden variation....
Some of the wreckage and the coral, sponges and creatures that have grown on it in the 100 years it has been on the bottom....
Another hiding and smaller Spotted Scorpionfish...
Redband Parrotfish (Initial phase)...
A first....Yellowline Arrow Crab...I would have missed this guy as he/she was small and tucked behind some coral...the divemaster pointed him/her out!
Close up of the Yellowline Arrow Crab...AND the divemaster did not tell me what it was...I was able to figure it out using my new books...having lots of fun with the books (as Paul laughs at me)!!!
A Bicolor Coney testing the "personal space" of a Spotted Moray Eel.....
Stripped Parrotfish (Initial phase)....
Variegated Feather Duster and haven't as yet for sure identified the Star Coral or sponge in the background....
And this was a VERY lucky lobster....Paul couldn't bring him up as we were in a Marine Preserve....
Spotted Trunkfish and Blackbar Soldierfish....
Netted Barrel Sponges among the wreck...
And a couple of Blackbar Soldierfish....Okay....that was a lot of pictures...hopefully you enjoyed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul