Sunday, August 17, 2008

Dog Days of Summer

So much for the damn dogs...Here it is the middle of August and our To-Do list keeps getting longer. Last weekend I re plumbed the water and A/C pumps..repaired the high water alarm and started cleaning the engine room. Tuesday I removed both battery chargers...The fan had failed on the 100 amp and the 30 amp has not worked for over a year. When I opened the 100 amp, the case was filled with salt. Back in Jan on our way to the USVI we has a pin hole leak in the high pressure (1000 psi) hose in the engine room. This put a fine salt water mist in the engine room that condensed on all the surfaces. Needless to say that pin hole was right below the cooling fan on the battery charger, hence the charger innards covered with salt. I had spent 5 hrs bent over the generator....called the dealer about the fan...they wanted $125 bucks for a computer fan...screw them..ordered one on-line for $15 bucks. I found a blown fuse in the 30 amp so I decided to replace it and keep the 100 amp out till I replace the fan. I hit the breaker and bam...the thing started charging....but that was short lived...5 min later it quits... Damn...back down in the engine room...remove the 30 amp and install the 100 amp. I had Joyce unplug the 220 v shore power AND disconnect the 24 volt + and - at the battery. While using some needle nose pliers to push through the heavy 24v cable it grounded to something ... WOW...now the pliers are hot to the touch... have no idea where all the power was coming from....by 6:30 I had the 100 amp back in and charging...A quick dinner and we headed for the gym...me to the hot-tub for a long soak.
On Thur flipped the boat around in the slip and replaced the anchor chain with the new 250 foot piece I found online. The boat came with 10 mm Frenchie stuff and has been in the water for the better part of the last 5 yrs. The chain is fine but, the galvanizing is long gone. I had ordered 3/8 HT. 3/8 and 10 mm are close....but of course the new chain is a little longer and would jump out of the chain wheel. You guessed it...now have to buy another chain wheel for $ 225 or more. By this time my back and hips have had enough....Have been spending all the time at the gym in the hot tub. Yesterday was a do nothing day except to go out for calamari with Pete and Pam and a game of Mexican Train dominoes and wine.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul