Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Adventure begins..Again

Thursday Oct 30 4:16 pm Back Creek, Annapolis We started our second cruising season yesterday as we sailed down from Baltimore yesterday...great sail...hit 9.2 knots in a 20-30 knot COLD wind. Guess the bottom is not too bad Anchored in Back Creek. John the mechanic came by and installed the new transfer switch. All is back together after over 1 yr. Switch burned up last summer, taking out the genset main board. Wes was able to rig a fix and I have been putzing with it since. When we crashed last night the batteries were at 100%. As I type we are at 70%. The new batteries we paid $8.o2 for are doing just fine. I do think the new inverter/charger with the ability to equalize the new batteries has increased the available amp hours. It will be interesting to see if I can get 2 yrs out of this set with proper equalizing and care.
We spent the last week with daily provisioning trips, lowering the Lady down in the water. We have much more on board as compared to last yr, but we are packing for 2 yrs...maybe longer depending on what happens next Tuesday. We had to unplug the cable TV...lost our Fox news...will soon lose our talk radio station. The drive by news is depressing...so in the tank for Obama. I can't even imagine this country run by Pelosi, Reed and Obama. Let them spread THEIR personal wealth if they want to but don't force me to give any of my hard earned anything to THEM for THEM to decide where it should be used.
I have called Baltimore my home when not cruising for the last 3 yrs. My thanks to Bill, Millie, Wes, Helen and Troy. You have been more like my family than marina employees. I'm not sure I would be sailing today without their help..Thanks...we will be back to see the new marina in a few yrs. We will miss our Mexican Train dominoes evenings with Pete and Pam..thanks for the fun times and friendship.. Thanks to Jenny for putting up with me after my surgeries, and for the use of her car for provisioning. Our thanks to all of you...you are very special people....true friends indeed.
I have been acting as weatherman for my friend Brit friend Phil. He left NJ last week on a delivery to Florida. He got slammed of the coast of Virginia by the storm that blew through her this week. We had 40 knots in the marina in Baltimore, he had 40-45 with 12ft seas offshore. The roller furled jenny came unfurled and was shredded in 45 knots. The main had a major tear and they now have serious electrical problems as the batteries are dead. They have the engine running and have enough fuel to make it to Charleston SC. I'm running my MaxSea software and giving them twice daily weather. He is calling me on his Sat phone for updates. The boat is a 41' Jeanneau... a light production boat...they spent better part of 2 days down below with just the storm staysail up. Must have been 1 hell of a ride. The winds drop below 20 knots tomorrow..they will change out the jenny repair the main and sail on to Charleston.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul