Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Rio Thanksgiving

We started out our Thanksgiving day early....
with a ride (thank you Pam) to Morales for Paul and I to get our teeth cleaned! Of course everything being Guatemalan time...only I got mine done ($250 Q's...$30.00 U.S. dollars)...but Paul has an appointment in another week!The small airport behind one of the main streets...Thanksgiving is not celebrated/known as a holiday down here.So it was business as usual for everyone in town...Then on to Thanksgiving dinner...This is the view from the Vista Rio restaurant...This one's for you mom!!! Even in Guatemala!!!!Some of the American/British/German/French community of ex-pats living in and around the Rio.Yes, that's me (white shawl)...getting ham from the potluck table!! The turkey and the ham were delicious...(so was the cake!!). The BEST dressing was of course the one that Paul made and brought! It was gone first! This restaurant is where the "locals" go to eat...I mentioned to some (not while there of course) that I felt like I was around a lot of old people there!! Don't get me wrong...there were children there...and I certainly do not want to offend anyone! So for now I guess I won't expound on my feelings...but I do have what I believe to be the reasons for those feelings...those who would like to know more...just ask!!! Returning to the boat...very full!!! One of Paul's favorite islands on the river...only because he has renamed it.... Birdshit Island....So that was our Rio (Dulce) Thanksgiving...not to be confused with a REAL Thanksgiving...although perhaps that is just what this Thanksgiving did. When we got back to the boat we had internet (not like right now where I am struggling to get this blog posted) so I quickly emailed all my children and my mom and told them how much I missed them...and how much I love them!!! My thanks were given and my blessings were remembered!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul