Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Curtains and Christmas

Wow...it seems that it has been a very long time since I last blogged. I've been staying "under the radar" some would say. Others might say I've been "down below". I actually was "under the weather" for more than a week after the Belize trip...horrible head and sinus cold. But all that is gone. For those that would like to know...The Great Escape is still on the reef in Belize. Al and Pam are doing wonderful, the cats are doing great...the kittens are doing great (and are adorable)...and Radar, the dog is doing great too! They are renting a darling two bedroom house for now! Paul had his dentist appointment in Morales and got his teeth cleaned...$250.00 Q...about $30 USD...I don't know anymore...is that a good deal? And did you know that they don't scrape your teeth anymore...they use ultrasound or something! Amazing...even here!! Al (#2) was kind enough to take us with him when he went in for his dentist appointments...and had a great time shopping for fruits for our smoothies. Paul FINALLY got his dingy bra put on...or should I say that Hugo now has his dingy bra...bright enough for you? And, another small bit of good news. Since we got back to the Rio the end of September (and it's now...oh, yes, December), Herbie has needed to have the top taken off and a wrench used to spark it to run. Of course all of the locals get a kick out of me (a woman) doing this. I've been the one driving (and therefore starting) Hugo to try to save Paul's back on dingy rides. Late last week we went to one of the best stores on the river for the cruisers to find different boat repair stuff (I get the BEST homemade bread there and Paul says they have the best ice...and best COLD $5Q beer ANY time of day). As we were leaving Paul got into Hugo first and decided he would start the engine FOR ME!! What a sweet guy! Herbie would have none of it however...he just wouldn't spark for Paul...so I hopped into the boat and started him up! Yes, the locals were smiling pretty big as we left!! So guess what now works!! Yes, Herbie is back to being a push-button engine!! After all...Paul found that it was only a fuse!!

So back to what I've been doing "down below"...while we were in Seattle Paul had bought this beautiful material. I guess I don't have a "before" picture but ever since I have been aboard Paul has complained about the curtains...the pattern and the color. So wa-la!! Yes, it took a lot of time... A BIG thank you to Pam for letting me use her sewing machine (which was aboard the Lady H and did not need to be rescued from The Great Escape). Paul had purchased more than enough...so he wanted a fitted bedsheet...and look what he got...a fitted bedsheet!! I amazed even myself. I really liked what one of the other cruisers here had to say when I was mentioning my lack of perfection...she said...."better finished than perfect"!!

They are finished...and, Paul is a happy guy!!
I also made this cover for the dive compressor out of the old bimini top...which reminds me...I should have pictures of Paul's new bimini top...well, maybe next blog. There you go...the curtains. So, on to Christmas...we are leaving in the morning...bus ride...back to Antigua, Guatemala. The most reasonable explanation for going is that I'm trying to search for Christmas...I didn't think I would find it on the Rio (especially after Thanksgiving here)...so I really wanted to go somewhere...besides it's cheap to go by bus...staying at the hostel we found there is delightful and cheap...so even if I don't find Christmas in Antigua...there is always the shopping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul