Saturday, May 21, 2011

The good and the soap box....

Usually I reserve the soap box for Capt Paul...he enjoys it!  I don't necessarily...but I feel I need to get this out to the universe!  Yesterday as I walked off the boat and onto the dock there was a small statured man about my age with a BCD (scuba diving acronym for Buoyancy Compensation Device) in his hands.  I thought...'ah a fellow diver' greeted him plesantly and then asked if he was going diving.  He had a strong accent and replied that he had been scuba diving in the San Blas and that it was beautiful there.  Having been in the San Blas last year and knowing that it was against Kuna Yala law to scuba dive in their islands, I mentioned that if he had gone scuba diving in the San Blas he had violated their law.  He acknowledged that he had read that...but no...he went scuba diving anyway!  I reinterated to him that he had disrespected Kuna Yala people in his decision to violate their law.  He turned bright red, turned and walked away mumbling something about my being an American.  Now, yes, hindsight being 20/20...I could have not said anything.  Certainly I was not envisioning what I had hoped would be a pleasant scuba diving conversation turning into the Frenchman walking away being embarrassed (or angry?) over our conversation.  Based on his last mumblings...I guess I should be pleased that Americans are (and I would imagine this is generally) seen as respecting laws...including other countries laws.  And, actually I'm glad I called him out on his illegal ways...maybe it is time we (a very general we here) confront and expose those who talk about and behave in these manners.  When we were in the San Blas last year I remember on the cruisers net there were mentions of some cruisers (on this blog I will refrain from commenting on their nationality...but on the cruisers net they did acknowledge what country they were from) visiting the Kuna Yala islands basically looting the environment by their actions and that a general "we" should remind them of their place.  Well consider it done...a year late!  Looting of any kind should be confronted, exposed and is not a joke! 
Okay...a smile here (my kids will understand...i.e., I'm off the soap box).  And, to a lighter note...remember when I mentioned the salsa dive boat?  Well, on that day I met a wonderful Uruguay couple...she speaks English a little...and when I was not diving I had a wonderful time talking with her.  Anyway they were drinking tea out of a gourd covered in leather with a medal type straw!  Being the loose leaf tea drinker that I am...I found this cup wonderful...different...beautiful...and asked if she knew of a website so that I could buy one online!  Their dive group is flying out this morning and last night to my surprise...she and her husband GAVE me their gourd (cup) and bombilla (straw)!  What a BEAUTIFUL gift!  I have since gotten online and seen the traditions associated with this gourd and bombilla!  Yerba Mate, the tea traditionally used in these gourd's, is the national drink of Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.  It is now ordered and on it's way to my mom's house!  When we get there in June we will give it a try!!  Life is good...             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul