Sunday, September 25, 2011

Necessity...

Remember the old saying that "necessity, (who) is the mother of invention"?  Well, now that we are planning to go into French Harbor and be "on the hook" the clothes washer is fixed!  And, even Capt Paul has decided that we need to organize the boat and maybe even get rid of some of what we don't use!!  We have been diving every other day...giving Capt Paul a day to rest up.  Or maybe, that is...it gives me a day to rest up...yes, I do all the heavy lifting and get both of our tanks and equipment together and ready...when we are done...equipment rinsed and tanks to the FI Dive shop for filling.  A few pictures I have put up on Facebook...and are from a previous dive...He gets in the water and dives.  Really the most challenging and exhausting for him is getting OUT of the water into the dingy!  But it is also so good for him to go!  Yesterday we went out to Valley of the Kings and he seemed to gulp air!  It is a beautiful dive!  For whatever reason he just could not get comfortable...I'm wondering if (because he is a bit clastrophobic) it was because of the visability which is not the greatest all over the island...we have heard that even the vis at West End is bad!  Not sure that the two are related...but there is also so much garbage on the surface of the water...yes, I'm stating a fact...it is garbage...human type garbage...not sure where it came from...and no one is jumping up and saying "it's mine", but it's been around on the surface for almost a month...what doesn't make it to shore and the beaches, breaks up little by little and remains surrounding the island.  I remember the first time I ever saw that much garbage in the water...well, let's be honest...was in Baltimore Harbor...but the garbage there was being contained by a boom...and what made it past that boom was picked up by a skimmer boat.  That is all he did all day...skim the garbage up out of the harbor!  Seeing as Honduras and Guatemala always get U.S. "seconds"...perhaps when that skimmer boat gets too old and Baltimore buys a new one they can send it down here!  Because, while the first time I saw garbage in the water was in Baltimore...this is the most and the longest stream of garbage I have seen in all of our Carribean travels...off of Honduras...and now around Roatan. 

 I guess I got a little off topic there...but anyway...yes, it will be necessary for us to be real cruisers again...not Marina rats. And, as with any boat there is still plenty to do...but that is where Plato's saying comes in!  And, yes, I won't tell you that I won't miss it here at Fantasy Island...but I will be ready (I hope)...and, I am actually looking forward to it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul