Thursday, November 17, 2011

She's Gone...

It actually, as far as selling a boat goes (I think) as fast, smooth, and easy, as I've every seen.  No survey, no sea trial.  And, now she's gone.  She motored out of French Harbor yesterday afternoon on her way to Panama.  I'm talking about s/v Mi Lady.  Many people talk of how their boats take on a life of their own and as the new owner, captain and crew boarded her, she seemed to pull at her dock lines waiting for the new adventure.  I'm not 100% sure but it seemed that I might have been the only one choked up...with tears...but I was successful hiding them behind my camera, taking pictures.  
Jim and Norma have owned Mi Lady for over eight years and have had her for sale for about three years.  There is the old saying that "the two happiest days of a boat owners life...the day they buy the boat...and, the day they sell the boat".  Jim and Paul toasted with a beer as we all watched her.  Then we spoke of all the great times they had had aboard her, the memories they will take with them, and, yes, the pictures that Norma has taken of their travels.



It seems for a lot of us "cruisers", for our time aboard, we become our boats, our identity is tied directly to the boat...for Jim and Norma...they WERE Mi Lady for over eight years.  There are many reasons for that...when speaking on the VHF radio (boaters version of a telephone) they were not Jim and Norma...they were Mi Lady; they, like most of us, have been in unexpected weather where Mi Lady kept them safe.  Mi Lady was their home.  Now, Jim and Norma will begin a new chapter together.  
So I'm reflecting a lot this morning on them and their lives because Paul has the Lady H for sale.  I'm watching Jim and Norma and their transitioning.  I'm excited for them as it seems everything has fallen into place once one major decision was made a couple of months ago.   I remember mentioning to Norma weeks ago when the sale wasn't yet a "done deal", that God was waiting until they had made "that" decision before letting their life change and move on.  I was feeling that this was the time for them and the sale.  I hope, when the time comes, I can be as ready.  In the mean time...we hold our memories of our times with them.  We will miss Mi Lady...she has begun a new chapter...she's gone...  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul