Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Weather the Weather...

Years ago when I made the Travel with Finny outline one of the books down in the series was (is) going to be titled "Weather the Weather".  Yes, I've finally been working on them...the first two in the first series are completed!  It is pretty much because of being stuck recently in what I have called the "dungeon".  Norma (s/v mi Lady) calls it her cave...I termed it a dungeon...interesting contrast for another day's blog?  Anyway, you would think that being from Seattle...known for it's rain...rain...and more rain...that I would almost be an expert on rain.  But, no.  The rain here falls very differently, and differently depending on if it is part of a Tropical Storm or just a squall...and what kind of squall.  One of the things Capt Paul and I noticed was that when Rina passed over Roatan, the south side of the island was fairly protected while the north side received stronger winds.  During the squalls of the previous week, that at times were right over us, we would get over 30 knots of wind and it seemed rain drops the size of golf balls (okay...that may be a bit over stated, but you get the idea...and the white spots in the picture ARE rain drops!).  We've been getting off of the boat only a little...and one reason is to pump Hugo out.  For years I used the manual pump...about a year ago (I'm thinking due to a little belly-aching on my part) Capt Paul finally had one of the local guys here put a little electric pump in what is suppose to be the air chamber of Hugo that fills up with water.  Since Herbie is an electric start...it works like a charm to just hook the wires up to the battery and wait....yes, wait...when the water is all pumped out I have to unhook the wires from the battery so the pump doesn't continue to run and burn itself up or drain the battery...so, yes, a lot of times, and lately, I get all wet, but, at least I feel like I've done something for the day!!


There was one day last week where the skies parted for a couple of days...and I did go out on the FI dive boat...three dives...I needed that!  There was only one other couple on the boat...a couple from California.  They were GREAT fun to dive with!  I'm not going to guess-ta-mate their age....I'm not really good at that...BUT, we can all add...and here are the facts.  They both learned to scuba dive six years ago, when she was 61 and he was 64...they vacation a lot...are avid scuba divers on every vacation they take!  He did three dives every day (except one day when Rina was at her worst) and she did two dives every day!  I was so impressed by this couple!!


So, anyway, I guess it's time to start working on the third book in the first series...I need the first series (four books) to be completed to really pursue publishing.  And, I'll get Hugo pumped out!  So, weather the weather...at least I am accomplishing something? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul