Friday, November 11, 2011

What did you do on 11,11,11,11,11,11?

11,11,11. 10:11:11
So I'm an hour early....
Been a busy week, Jim and Norma have sold their boat...have moved onto Perfect One, the owners are back in Canada till January, then Jim and Norma will fly home...going to get very lonely around here. We might have to re think our plans after they leave.
The word on the rate increase and changes here at Fantasy Island is a hot topic up the Rio. The 300 or so cruisers that would usually stop here will just keep on going. Many have blamed Jim for these changes.... I can say for sure he fought hard to keep things cruiser friendy.....but it's not his island. It was fun while it lasted. Another part of Paridise ruined by greed. Jim and I were talking the other night, we should have done this 20 yrs ago. I have been chartering down here since 1980. I have watched as each one of my special places have been ruined. The islanders seem to think we cruisers are rich. By their standards, my disability check would make me wealthy, but they don't realize after boat repairs, insurance, food, fuel, rum and beer...there isn't anything left at the end of the month. In fact, my yearly insurance bill has been coming out of what few bucks I have left in the market. Yes, I have a bigger and nicer boat than the average cruiser, and my costs are higher, but we all live from month to month. The answer to "How much does it cost to go cruising? Everything you have..... Skip and Sachio do it on a 26 footer... Jim and Norma...a 44 footer... One has to budget for those big ticket items like sails, bottom painting, engine repairs. There is always something broken, I'm waiting for next weeks container...(it's 11.11.11.11. having a cold beer) .new head pump, fuel filter for the genset and a heater element for the water heater. Lori, Joyce's friend will be down in Dec for a week....already have her loaded up with stuff. We (Joyce) are starting to go through the boat to see what we keep and what stays on the boat when (if) she sells. Jim and Norma took off their clothes, food, booze and some personal items....the rest stays....sounds like a plan.
Joyce found out yesterday that her tenant at the Lake is moving out. Just what she needed....more stress. For some time both the Lake and Farm tenants have been spotty with their rent payments. There has been no interest in her Condo in Z. So this news just adds to the $$$$$ stress.










We were able to get 2 dives in this week. No stress on Joyce under water.......just extra work as the gear is over my weight limit. Tuesdays dive was for me the most comfortable dive ever. Thursdays, we did Coco View wall....left hip killed me, had to peddle back on 1 flipper..... I am getting stronger, can walk better , faster, and further. It's just so damn slow. Although the rainy season is supposed to be over....have had rain the last 2 days...waiting for it to stop so we can go for a walk. So all for now......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul