Thursday, March 12, 2015

Lady Musgrave diving

Diving...there is something to be said about breathing underwater...

It was still windy Saturday...and the VHF wasn't working. I had been asked to have the Captain call the 'Spirit of 1770' on the VHF at 9:45am to get instructions on where to go. They got power to the VHF in time...but no answer when Wayne called. I "kitted up" anyway sat in the cockpit and waited! A little after 10:00 the cat powered through the cut. I waved as it passed us by. I waited until I saw it was against the dock and then said to Wayne that I was "ready to go". He was up, into the dingy and helping me get there in a flash!

The first dive was a drift dive...macro lens and drift dives aren't normally to be paired up...but that is what I had! I was buddied with a (new) divemaster. Splashdown! There was a lot of organic material in the water so the vis was not the best and where we started out the coral had been damaged...but I was finally breathing underwater again! I did battle the current a few times for a few pictures...but overall needed to stay with the group...and I did.

 Pink Skunk Anemonefish...
 Clown Anemonefish...
 Pink Skunk Anemonefish...
 Butterflyfish...
 Butterflyfish...

As with any dive group...I could have/would have liked to have stayed down longer. With 1400 psi left in my tank...I was told to surface...and I did. The second dive was in the lagoon with the promise (well as much as one can make promises about fish and reptile sightings) of turtles.
Once again, vis was poor at best and the new divemaster didn't really know where he was going...ended up takeing us in circles (did he think I wouldn't notice?).
Juvenile Butterflyfish...

I did get a small video of a very large green turtle...albeit with poor vis...but I'll share it anyway!
  When all was said and done, I was happy and I had gone and I signed up for Tuesday's dives!

I waited again (ever so patiently...ha ha ha) for Tuesday...the next dive day. Arrived to a new dive leader...and this guy loves it here! Vis was better...but as sometimes happens...my learning curve got in the way as I had NOT charged the batteries to my strobes, so I only got a few photos.
 Not sure my strobes would have helped this photo...
 Looking into the eye of an octopus...

Notice the upper photo with good working strobes and then this one... not so much!!!
 
That being said, I did then concentrate on taking some video! Yes, there is still a learning curve on it too...and will try to share some on another day! It was so fun to dive with a dive leader who seemed to have the same love of being underwater! I was ready to sign up again...but knew that with a blow coming we would be leaving Lady Musgrave soon.

When I started out writing this blog I was thinking that I could put into words...share with you the reason...give words to the feeling...describe the draw of the ocean down under, of breathing underwater...I sit here now dumbfounded. So you see, I will just have to go again and see if I can bring to the surface the feelings...and put those feeling into words I'll keep trying... again...and again...and again!!!

1 comment:

  1. Joyce, I do understand the amazing feelings of "breathing' underwater, as well as living on a sailboat. You are in God's amazing world and we finally take time to enjoy and appreciate the shear beauty of this earth and sea. Thank you for your blogs....I'm enjoying them and your adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul