Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Waiting...

Yes, the old addage "hurry up and wait" can even be used when cruising!

We arrived at Bundaberg late afternoon and anchored off the Marina in the river. The wind arrived in grand fashion to bless us all with a rolly sleepless (or sleep little) night! Early the next morning we were in the Marina with a host of chores to accomplish in one day! The weather looked good to sail the next day out to Lady Musgrave. Jo and I started laundry together...then she took over and I went to wash my self AND my hair...I almost felt human again! Capt Paul wanted to go shopping again so he and Wayne were planning that when I took off for the bus stop to connect with the dive shop in town. While I was waiting at the bus, a gentleman rolled his window down and asked where I was going...I told him into town...he said he was too and asked if I wanted a ride. I hopped in. Max gave me a grand (brief) tour of the area with all the history that he knew. Sugar Cane agricultural area! Much longer story short, he dropped me off right at the dive shop! I found Julian out back and we chatted about what arrangements could be made for diving at Lady Musgrave while I was out there. The 'Spirit of 1770' arrives every day (wind permitting) but only takes divers on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays.  Knowing that our plans can change quickly (the current plan was to sail out Wednesday), I made my plans for diving on Saturday. Not having taken the bus into town, then it was time to find out how to return back to the Port! With guidance from a clerk where I bought a water...I found the bus stop after a long walk through the very cute little town. I chatted with another gentleman and he took me under his wing to be sure the bus driver knew where I needed to go! With dinner came the discussion of weather and if leaving Wednesday was a good idea (I was so glad that I made diving plans for Saturday). Decision was made to head out in the morning (7:00am ish) to enter the cut into the lagoon as close to low tide as we could as tidal current flow was reported to be intense into and out of the cut with the tides (low tide was 1:30pm....slack until 2:30pm or so...we were hoping to arrive no later than 3:00pm).
It was a motor sail...but we made it "on time" with eventually a non-eventful entry through the red and greens!
Once inside the cut Capt Paul took "point" on the bow as we dodged coral heads to the sandy anchorage. There was only one other large motor yacht, one sailboat and the Lady Musgrave Catamaran Cruise boat at the pontoon area. Once the anchor was down it was time to relax. 
Sunrise inside the lagoon
and the island from our anchor spot.

I watched the dive/cruise catamaran arrive as we readied Leaps with Lizzards for an island walk.
Wayne went walking along the beach for trash pick-up and Jo and I followed the trail through the island where the island birds were nesting.
We passed Wayne around the back end of the island and continued on along the beach back.
On the sandiest end of the island Jo started cutting across a sandy/grassy plateau when a sea bird (in the Northwest we call them Seagulls) scolded us loudly and began to approach us!
I stopped walking and looked around at what we were walking through...it was a turtle nesting area!! It also was a sea bird nesting area! I'm sure they were waiting for the baby turtles to hatch to have their fill! I mentioned it to Jo and we turned around, cautiously walking around the nests and continued to walk along the beach instead! One of the little birds followed behind us making sure we were leaving! 
Along the beach we saw the tracks of three mama turtles that had made their way up to the nesting area!
 We met back up with Wayne near the dingy and headed back to the "mother ship", Dances with Dragons.
These small critters were floating by the boat every low tide.  I finally found out (only by explanation not by the picture) that they are baby Portuguese Man O War Jellyfish.  If anyone reading this can verify from this picture that is correct it would be wonderful! 

This video compiles our first views of Lady Musgrave and our first visit to the beach.

And, this video compiles our second visit to the island, Capt Paul's first walk inside the island.  Both these videos are best viewed with one click... as they have been downsized to be able to post easily!
  
Friday was VERY windy and became an electrical boat chore day for the guys (yes, all day and they got so much accomplished) while Jo read and I worked on pictures and video.
 
Really I was just waiting for Saturday...did anyone catch that? Hurry up and wait.....  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul