Sunday, May 3, 2015

Airlie Beach and Butterflys

Capt Paul and Wayne had some great sailing I hear... but now the race is on for them to get to Townsville by this weekend with NO WIND!  Which means motoring!!!

I on the other hand am here at Airlie Beach! 
I am in a wonderful place called Backpackers by the Bay (BBB)!  
And, no this isn't a view from where I'm staying... just a view of Airlie Beach on one of the many walks I've taken!
Friday I returned from the WORST DIVE TRIP I have ever been on and have been relaxing ever since!  If I lived in or around Airlie Beach I would be so embarrassed by the quality of trip they allow to go out to the Whitsundays and the Great Barrier Reef!  I won't name names or tell tales here... but if anyone is interested I can certainly give them all the information.  And, relaxing?  Well... okay... today I went for a walk up Mt Rooper.  A gal that was  staying at BBB for one night showed me some pictures of her hike... and well...I just HAD to go!  She told me I should take water and take the bus up to the entrance of the park as it was quite a walk around the mountain loop.  So after breakfast at my favorite restaurant this morning I caught the bus! 
I'm telling you right now that google has to be incorrect 5.1 km CAN'T be equal to only 3.168miles!  NO WAY!!!  This sign has to be wrong! 
And it wasn't just the distance through the forest... it was a sign that said to "never hike alone"...
I broke rule #1 and was feeling a little worried about it...
then I got to the steep rocky inclines and switchbacks.  I was back in the Gladstone sauna! 
I was almost to the top of the mountain and thinking I was never going to find what I was looking for...
When I looked up and saw the "tree"!!  There it is. Not the green normal trees... the odd looking stick tree just a bit to the left in this picture.  I stopped... put the macro lens on.... and...
Butterfly tree!!!  Actually butterfly's feeding on the pollen of this plant!  So amazing and beautiful to see! 
Then I finally made it to the actual top of the mountain and a view of the Whitsundays!  I am a bit tired tonight! I'll be headed back north on the train to Ayer Tuesday morning and then to Townsville Thursday. Might even try for a night out on Magnetic Island Thursday or Friday night!  Dances With Dragons should be in Townsville perhaps Friday if they get some wind or more probably Saturday!  It will be fun to catch up with "Félix and Oscar" (for those that remember the 'Odd Couple') as I got to so fondly call the two of them!!!    
So I'll leave you with another optical illusion... Camels on Airlie Beach?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there...let us know what you think...Capt Paul